A prominent foe of Hugo Chavez says the Venezuelan president's cancer diagnosis shouldn't affect the plans of opposition factions for holding a joint primary ahead of next year's presidential election.
Miranda state Gov. Henrique Capriles says there is no need to move up the vote from next February.
A coalition of major opposition parties agreed earlier this year that the primary should be in February, but several government adversaries have suggested since Chavez revealed he is fighting cancer that the vote be held earlier.
The opposition will also use the primary to choose candidates for gubernatorial and municipal elections.
Capriles spoke Wednesday.