A Tunisian emergency response official says the bodies of 26 migrants who drowned when an Italy-bound fishing boat sunk have been recovered.
About 200 immigrants are still missing after the vessel carrying an estimated 800 people, mostly from sub-Saharan Africa and Asia, sank in a storm Tuesday. The vessel, which is thought to have taken off from neighboring Libya, stalled about 20 miles (30 kilometers) off southern Tunisia's Kerkennah islands.
Col. Jalloul Jaballah says the bodies recovered by a team of divers Sunday brings the confirmed death toll to 28. Two other bodies had been recovered previously.
Bad weather hampered rescue operations, but the Tunisian coast guard rescued 583 people, including more than 100 women and children.