Nepal's ex-crown prince warned after firing gun

AP News
|
Posted: Apr 27, 2011 7:26 AM
Nepal's ex-crown prince warned after firing gun

Authorities warned Nepal's former crown prince but dropped an investigation Wednesday into his firing a gun after an argument at a resort last year.

Paras Shah had been detained briefly and questioned in December after the incident at a resort in southern Nepal.

The only son of deposed King Gyanendra admitted firing his gun into the air once. He said he did so because he could not bear to hear insults to his family and country.

He had said two restaurant guests made "baseless and provocative remarks against his role and the institution he represented." Shah said he left the restaurant, returned later and fired the gun without harming anyone or causing damage.

Chitwan district's chief administrator Basanta Gautam decided to drop the case Wednesday. A man with whom Shah argued refused to press charges, saying Shah had not fired at him or any other person.

As crown prince, Shah was criticized for hard partying and frequent brawling, and several street protests were held against him.

He has never faced a criminal investigation or charges, even after being accused of two vehicular homicides.

Nepal's Constituent Assembly abolished the centuries-old monarchy in 2008. Shah and his relatives now live as common citizens with no state privileges.