French police say they are searching for a 50-year-old man after the bodies of his wife and children were exhumed from a grave beneath their home in the northwestern city of Nantes.
Nantes public prosecutor Xavier Ronsin said Friday investigators suspect Xavier Dupont was involved in the killings and also may be involved in last week's disappearance of a woman in the southeastern Var region.
Dupont was last spotted on April 15 in the region, hundreds of miles (kilometers) from the family home where the bodies of his four children, aged 13-21, and 49-year-old wife were found Thursday.
Ronsin said Friday the mother and the children had been shot in the head, possibly with a rifle belonging to Dupont.
The family went missing in early April.