Belarus says detains first bombing suspects

Reuters News
|
Posted: Apr 13, 2011 4:07 AM

MINSK (Reuters) - Belarus has detained the first suspects in the investigation into a bomb explosion in a Minsk metro station which killed 12 people and injured about 200, the state prosecutor's office said on Wednesday.

"The first suspects in the blast case have been detained," Pyotr Kiselyov, a spokesman for the prosecutor's office, said. He did not say how many people had been held or provide any other details.

Separately, a law enforcement source told Reuters that two persons had been detained and at least one of them was a Belarussian citizen.

The April 11 blast, described by prosecutors as "an act of terrorism," was the first such attack of its kind in the heavily policed ex-Soviet state.

(Reporting by Andrei Makhovsky; Writing by Olzhas Auyezov; Editing by Richard Balmforth)