Military search teams pulled a young man from a crushed house Saturday in Japan's disaster zone but a news report later said he returned there a week after the quake and tsunami struck and that he was trapped only for one day.
The young man, found in the rubble in Kesennuma city, was too weak to talk and was immediately transferred to a nearby hospital, said a military official. The official, who declined to give his name because he was not authorized to speak to the media, had no other details.
Kyodo, the Japanese news agency, said the man was in his 20s. In a later report, Kyodo quoted his family as saying that he had been separated from them after the March 11 quake and had stayed in a shelter before returning home Friday.
A separate military official, who would also would not provide her name, said she could not confirm the Kyodo report and had no other details.
The National Police Agency raised the death toll Saturday, reporting that 7,197 people had died _ exceeding the deaths from the 1995 Kobe earthquake. Another 10,905 were reported missing, the police agency said.