An official in Mali says a suspect in a January attack on the French Embassy has escaped from jail.
The official who works in the presidency asked his name not be used as he is not authorized to speak to the press. He gave no further details.
The suspect was arrested Jan. 5 after the attack that wounded at least two people.
Police said the man claimed to be a Tunisian member of al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb. The group, however, did not claim responsibility for the attack. Mali's government said the attack was an isolated incident.
The al-Qaida franchise operates in the former French colony and has claimed responsibility for the kidnapping last year of five French citizens and two others who worked at a French-owned uranium mine in neighboring Niger.