One of three suspects in a Norwegian terror probe was released Friday after the Supreme Court rejected an attempt by the police security service to keep him in custody.
David Jakobsen, a 32-year-old Uzbek national, was arrested July 8 along with two other men in what U.S. and Norwegian officials believe was a plot linked to the same al-Qaida planners behind thwarted schemes to attack New York's subways and a British shopping mall.
Prosecutors later revealed that Jakobsen had been a police informant in the case, but he still faces terrorism charges because the allegations against the group rely partly on events that took place before he approached police last year.
An appeals court on Thursday ordered Jakobsen's release, saying he was not a flight risk and would not interfere with the investigation.
The Norwegian security service, PST, tried to overturn the decision, but the Supreme Court on Friday rejected its appeal. His lawyer, Rene Ibsen, told The Associated Press Jakobsen was set free later Friday.
The other two suspects _ Shawan Sadek Saeed Bujak Bujak and alleged ringleader Mikael Davud, a Norwegian citizen of Uighur origin _ remain in custody. Both have confessed to some of the allegations but given conflicting information about their planned target.
Bujak, an Iraqi Kurd with a residence permit in Norway, told investigators the group planned to attack a Danish newspaper that printed cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad. Davud's lawyer said the Chinese Embassy in Oslo was the target. Uighurs are a largely Muslim ethnic group that sees Xinjiang, an autonomous region of China, as its homeland.
Norwegian prosecutors have said they plan to file terror conspiracy charges against the men, who would face up to 12 years in prison if convicted.
An AP investigation shows that authorities learned early on about the alleged cell by intercepting e-mails from an al-Qaida operative in Pakistan.
The men had been under surveillance for more than a year as the FBI and CIA worked with Norwegian authorities on the case.