3rd Guantanamo detainee heading to Italy

AP News
|
Posted: Dec 20, 2009 9:52 AM

State-run and private television stations say a third Tunisian detainee from Guantanamo Bay is being moved to Italy to face international terrorism charges for having allegedly recruited fighters for Afghanistan.

Private TG5 identified the man as 40-year-old Moez Ben Abdelkader Fezzani, also known as Abou Nassim, and said he was expected to land Sunday night at Milan's Malpensa airport. A prosecutor confirmed the name on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

Last month, Italy accepted two other Tunisians from Guantanamo and immediately jailed them pending trial. Italy says it wants to help the U.S. close Guantanamo.

A 2007 Italian arrest warrant accuses Fezzani of several terrorism-related charges, including being a member of an al-Qaida-linked terror group.