1 person dies after carbon monoxide buildup at church

AP News
|
Posted: Nov 06, 2017 1:24 PM

MARSHALLTOWN, Iowa (AP) — Authorities say one person died and 14 more were hospitalized after breathing carbon monoxide at their church in Iowa, where a gasoline-powered generator was running in the unvented basement to provide heat and lighting.

Medics and police officers found several people with headaches and breathing difficulties at about 2:45 p.m. Sunday at the Church of God in Marshalltown. First responders helped churchgoers get treatment at a Marshalltown hospital. Eight of the victims later were taken to hospitals in Iowa City and Des Moines.

Marshalltown Deputy Fire Chief Christopher Cross couldn't provide the name of the deceased adult Monday.

Cross said the building didn't have electric or gas service and lacked a city occupancy permit.

A phone listed for the church rang busy during several calls Monday.