Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. NORTH KOREA'S LEADER CALLS TRUMP 'DERANGED'
In an extraordinary and direct rebuke, Kim Jong Un said the U.S. president would "pay dearly" for his threats. Hours later, North Korea's foreign minister reportedly said that his country may be planning to test a hydrogen bomb in the Pacific Ocean.
2. HOW SEARCH FOR MEXICO EARTHQUAKE VICTIM TURNED SHOCKING
News media, officials and volunteer rescuers all repeated the story of "Frida Sofia" with a sense of urgency that made it a national drama, But she never existed, Mexican navy officials now say.
3. HURRICANE MARIA'S HEAVY TOLL ON PUERTO RICO
The storm knocked out the entire grid across the U.S. territory of 3.4 million and killed at least two people. Many face the dispiriting prospect of weeks and perhaps months without electricity.
4. TOO MANY LOSSES TO COUNT FOR ROHINGYA MUSLIM CHILD REFUGEES
Children make up about 60 percent of more than 420,000 people who have poured in to Bangladesh in recent weeks.
5. WHAT'S LIKELY TO CHANGE, AND WHAT ISN'T, AFTER GERMAN ELECTIONS
Chancellor Angela Merkel appears all but certain to win a fourth term when Germans vote Sunday after a humdrum campaign produced few divisive issues, though a nationalist, anti-migration party is gaining support.
6. 'WE USED TO BE THE ENEMY, BUT NOW ARE THE CLOSEST OF FRIENDS'
Dozens of descendants of Japanese soldiers killed in World War II visited Pearl Harbor in Hawaii to pay respects to fallen American soldiers.
7. FORMER AUSTRALIAN PRIME MINISTER SAYS HE WAS HEAD-BUTTED
Former Prime Minister Tony Abbott said he sustained a swollen lip in the attack by a gay-rights advocate in Tasmania as he walked to his hotel after attending an anti-gay marriage luncheon.
8. WHAT THE UN ADDRESS BY JORDAN'S 23-YEAR-OLD HEIR TO THE THRONE INDICATES
It's the clearest sign yet that Crown Prince Hussein is on a fast track to a leadership role and is being promoted as an asset for the pro-Western monarchy.
9. MEGYN KELLY HOPES FOR A TRUMP-FREE ZONE WITH NEW SHOW
The former Fox News Channel star tells AP she left Fox News Channel to bring more joy to her life. She debuts her morning talk show on NBC on Monday.
10. WHY IT'S NOT THE BEST TIME TO RUN FOR THE BORDER
The busiest border crossing in the United States will close this weekend to the more than 40,000 cars that pass through it daily to Mexico.