Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. KIM'S RESPONSE TO TRUMP'S SPEECH AT U.N.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is calling President Donald Trump "deranged" and says in a statement carried by the state news agency that he will "pay dearly" for his threats.
2. TRUMP ADDS ECONOMIC ACTION TO NORTH KOREA MILITARY THREATS
President Donald Trump added economic action to his fiery military threats against North Korea, authorizing stiffer new sanctions in response to the Koreans' nuclear weapons advances.
3. MEXICO SHOCKED BY NEWS: GIRL TRAPPED IN RUBBLE DIDN'T EXIST
Mexicans were transfixed by dramatic coverage of an effort to reach a young girl thought buried by an earthquake in a collapsed school. But she never existed, Mexican navy officials now say.
4. WHY PUERTO RICO FACES WEEKS, OR MONTHS, WITHOUT ELECTRICITY
The U.S. territory's debt crisis left the state power company broke and left basic maintenance undone - and Hurricane Maria's damage has exacerbated those problems.
5. HOW JIMMY KIMMEL TRANSFORMED HEALTH CARE DEBATE
His withering attacks over the bill sponsored by Sens. Lindsey Graham and Bill Cassidy illustrate how thoroughly late-night talk shows have changed and become homes for potent points of view.
6. SLEEP APNEA PLAYED ROLE IN CRASHES OF TWO NYC-AREA COMMUTER TRAINS
Investigative documents say the disorder, which can cause excessive daytime sleepiness, went undiagnosed in the engineers who were driving.
7. FACEBOOK TO RELEASE RUSSIA ADS, BEEF UP ELECTION 'INTEGRITY'
Facebook is slowly acknowledging the outsized — if unintended — role it played in the 2016 U.S. presidential elections.
8. WHY THE ALABAMA SENATE RUNOFF IS A TEST FOR TRUMP'S POLITICAL MUSCLE
The president is campaigning for the establishment-backed incumbent over an upstart beloved by many of the president's own allies and supporters.
9. AARON HERNANDEZ HAD SEVERE CTE; DAUGHTER SUES NFL, PATRIOTS
Former New England Patriots star Aaron Hernandez had a severe case of the degenerative brain disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy, his lawyer said.
10. GIRL HIT BY FOUL BALL AT YANKEES GAME GETS GAME'S ATTENTION
After a toddler was struck in the face at a New York Yankees game, the game's commissioner vowed to push harder for all parks to extend protective netting.