NEW YORK (AP) — The Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn is announcing a compensation program for victims of past sexual abuse by priests.
The diocese says it will take out a loan to fund the program and is sending letters about it to about 235 people who previously reported being abused by a diocesan clergy member. The loan amount wasn't specified.
A diocese spokeswoman says the abuse allegations go back as far as 1934. Families can apply if the victim is deceased.
The program is modeled after one started last year by the larger New York archdiocese. Kenneth Feinberg and Camille Biros administer the older program and will also run the Brooklyn one.
The Brooklyn diocese also includes Queens.
Feinberg also served as administrator of the compensation fund for Sept. 11 victims' families.