PETAL, Miss. (AP) — Two men were killed by methane gas while working at a lift station in Mississippi.
The Clarion-Ledger reports (http://on.thec-l.com/2srPYi3 ) Petal mayor Hal Marx says the men were working for a company that contracted with the city to do some work at the wastewater pump. He says two of the three men working for the contractor were found unconscious Tuesday afternoon in the lift station.
Marx says the problem wasn't a gas leak but that the workers had been in a confined space with the sewer water. Attempts by emergency first responders to revive the men were unsuccessful after they were pulled out from about 15 feet (4.6 meters) down.
Marx did not name the victims or the company they worked for.
Information from: The Clarion-Ledger, http://www.clarionledger.com