RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Fire investigators say they can't figure out what caused a $50 million fire that destroyed an unfinished downtown apartment building in North Carolina's capital.
Raleigh officials said Friday that weeks of work by more than 100 investigators, hundreds of interviews and the results of multiple search warrants have failed to find the cause for the March 17 blaze.
Raleigh Fire Chief John McGrath had said previously that The Metropolitan apartment building near one of the city's downtown entertainment districts had been inspected dozens of times during the course of construction and met all code requirements.
McGrath said a firefighter suffered minor injuries and five people were treated for smoke inhalation.
Several nearby buildings were damaged by the fire's intense heat.