BROOKHAVEN, Miss. (AP) — In a story May 29 about a series of shootings in Mississippi, The Associated Press reported erroneously, based on incorrect information from authorities, the middle name of the man charged in the shootings. His name is Willie Cory Godbolt, not Corey.
A corrected version of the story is below:
The Latest: Teen says slain cousin shielded him from bullets
A Mississippi teen says his life was saved by his 18-year-old cousin who shielded him from bullets
BROOKHAVEN, Miss. (AP) — The Latest in a shooting in Mississippi that left eight people dead (all times local):
A Mississippi teen says his life was saved by his 18-year-old cousin who shielded him from bullets.
Caleb Edwards says when a gunman entered a home early Sunday, "I thought I was going to die."
The 15-year-old talked to The Associated Press on Monday with his mother by his side. He says he was shielded from the gunman by his cousin, Jordan Blackwell, who was shot to death. Caleb's 11-year-old brother, Austin Edwards, was also killed in the mass shooting. Eight people, including a sheriff's deputy, were killed at three different houses in the small towns of Bogue Chitto and Brookhaven.
The suspect, 35-year-old Willie Cory Godbolt — known by friends and family as Cory — was arrested Sunday, hours after the rampage began. Investigators say he will be charged with one count of capital murder and seven counts of murder.
Blackwell's parents, Shon and Tiffany Blackwell, confirmed their son was killed.
Authorities plan to charge the suspect in the shooting deaths of eight people in Mississippi with one count of capital murder and seven counts of first degree murder.
Mississippi Bureau of Investigation spokesman Warren Strain says those charges could change as the investigation continues. The suspect, 35-year-old Willie Cory Godbolt, is still hospitalized at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson. Police have said Godbolt is being treated for a gunshot wound.
Strain says Godbolt's first appearance in court depends on when he is released from the hospital and the court's schedule.
Godbolt is accused of shooting eight people to death, including a sheriff's deputy, at three separate homes Saturday night in rural Lincoln County. Authorities say Godbolt was either related to or knew the seven other people killed.
Authorities say the suspect in the shooting deaths of eight people in Mississippi was related to or knew all but one of his victims.
Authorities on Monday released the names of the victims shot at three locations in rural Mississippi late Friday. They are: 55-year-old Barbara Mitchell; 53-year-old Brenda May; 35-year-old Tocarra May; a child who was not identified; a 17-year-old boy who was not identified; 45-year-old Ferral Burage; and 46-year-old Shelia Burage.
Police previously identified the one person whom the suspect did not know: deputy sheriff William Durr, 36, of the Lincoln County Sheriff's Department.
Mississippi Bureau of Investigation spokesman Warren Strain says the suspect, 35-year-old Willie Cory Godbolt, is still hospitalized at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson. Police have said Godbolt is being treated for a gunshot wound.