Phoenix man faces possible charges for 2016 serial shootings: police

Reuters News
|
Posted: May 08, 2017 6:41 PM

By David Schwartz

PHOENIX (Reuters) - A Phoenix man already facing one murder count is likely to be charged with a series of eight more fatal shootings last year, the city's police chief said on Monday.

Aaron Saucedo, 23, was arrested in April and later charged with murder in connection with the first of the killings, which occurred in August 2015, Phoenix Police Chief Jeri Williams told reporters at a news conference.

Saucedo pleaded not guilty to that charge.

On Monday, Saucedo was technically re-arrested and booked at jail in a move by authorities that signaled they plan to charge him with eight other slayings that occurred in Phoenix, bringing to nine the total number of killings investigators have linked to him, Williams said.

Investigators initially believed a serial shooter was responsible for seven deaths last year, but in recent weeks they determined two other victims were also shot by the same gunman, who they believe to be Saucedo, including the victim killed in August 2015.

The shootings occurred late at night or early in the morning, mostly on the west side of Phoenix.

Saucedo faces the possibility of more than two dozen criminal charges, including murder, aggravated assault and drive-by shootings, Williams said.

The Maricopa County attorney will review the case to determine which charges to formally bring against him.

Two people were injured in the shooting spree, which police said lasted from August 2015 to July 2016.

(Reporting by David Schwartz in Phoenix, writing by Alex Dobuzinskis; editing by Chris Reese, G Crosse)