By Kim Palmer
CLEVELAND (Reuters) - One of two men suspected of opening fire in a crowded Cincinnati nightclub, killing one person and injuring 16 others, died on Tuesday as a result of gunshot wounds suffered in the shootout, police said.
Deondre Davis, 29, died Tuesday morning at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati Police Department spokeswoman Tiffaney Hardy said.
Davis was charged last week with murder in connection with the death of O'Bryan Spikes, 27, who died after the mass shooting at the Cameo Nightlife club on March 26.
Another suspect, Cornell Beckley, 27, pleaded not guilty in Cincinnati Municipal Court last week and is being held on a $1.7 million bond, Hardy said. She added that the investigation is ongoing.
Investigators have found at least 16 shell casings at the scene, as well as an unspecified number of guns. Police said previously that they expect more arrests and that there may have been a third shooter.
The gunfire, which sent hundreds of patrons fleeing and ducking for cover, grew out of a dispute inside the club, where two shootings took place in 2015, authorities said last week.
Unlike last year's Pulse nightclub massacre in Orlando, Florida, which killed 49 people and was the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history, there were no indications that the Cincinnati shooting was "terrorism-related," according to authorities.
Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley called the incident the worst mass shooting in the city’s history.
The nightclub has been closed since the shooting, and officials from the club could not be reached for comment.
(Editing by Timothy Mclaughlin in Chicago and Dan Grebler)