5 more children released after carbon monoxide pool leak

AP News
|
Posted: Apr 02, 2017 5:40 PM

NILES, Mich. (AP) — Five more children have been treated and released from the hospital after a carbon monoxide leak in a southern Michigan hotel pool area that killed a 13-year-old boy.

South Bend memorial Hospital spokeswoman Heidi Prescott said Sunday that the five additional children had been released Sunday. A police officer and three other children were previously treated and released following the incident Saturday at the Quality Inn & Suites in Niles.

WNDU-TV reports another patient is in good condition at Lakeland Hospital in Niles.

Niles Police Chief Jim Millin said 13-year-old Bryan Douglas Watts, of Niles, was pronounced dead at Lakeland.

Millin says the children are ages 12 to 14.

Niles Fire Department Mechanical Inspector Capt. Don Wise says a pool heater had improper ventilation.