The Latest: Police probe alleged threats to assault victim

AP News
|
Posted: Mar 22, 2017 5:47 PM

CHICAGO (AP) — The Latest on the apparent sexual assault of a Chicago girl that was streamed live on Facebook (all times local):

4:45 p.m.

A Chicago police official says investigators are looking into a mother's claims that her daughter has been the target of online threats since being sexually assaulted in an attack streamed live on Facebook.

Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said Wednesday that Superintendent Eddie Johnson has also reached out to the family to check on the girl.

The mother told The Associated Press earlier Wednesday that her daughter is scared to return home and the family is being harassed by neighborhood kids. She also says that since the attack, people have posted threats on Facebook that "they are going to get her" daughter.

No arrests have been made in the attack, which police say involved five or six young men or boys. Authorities say about 40 people viewed live video of the attack, and none of them reported it to the police.

___

12 p.m.

The mother of a 15-year-old girl whose apparent sexual assault was streamed live on Facebook says her daughter has received online threats since the attack.

The woman, whom The Associated Press isn't identifying to protect the identity of her daughter, says her daughter is staying with a relative and is scared to return to their home in Lawndale, on Chicago's West Side.

She says that since the attack, people have threatened on Facebook that "they are going to get her" daughter. She says neighborhood kids have been laughing about the attack and ringing her doorbell looking for her daughter.

Andrew Holmes, a local activist who helped the mother get video of the attack to the police, says it shows a frightened girl who was resisting.

Authorities say about 40 people watched the video live on Facebook and that none of them reported it to the police.

___

12:10 a.m.

Authorities say a 15-year-old Chicago girl was apparently sexually assaulted by five or six men or boys on Facebook Live, and none of the roughly 40 people who watched the live video reported the attack.

Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said Tuesday that police only learned of the attack when the girl's mother approached Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson Monday afternoon as he was leaving a department on the city's West Side. She told him her daughter had been missing since Sunday and showed him photos of the alleged assault.

He said Johnson immediately ordered detectives to investigate and the department asked Facebook to take down the video, which it did.

Guglielmi tweeted Tuesday that detectives found the girl and reunited her with her family, and that they're conducting interviews.

He said Johnson was "visibly upset" after he watched the video.