KEY LARGO, Fla. (AP) — A firefighter who collapsed during an underground rescue attempt in the Florida Keys has been released from a Miami hospital.
The Citizen reports (http://bit.ly/2k7BPSy ) Key Largo firefighter Leonardo Moreno was released late last week. Officials say Moreno tried to help a man who collapsed Jan. 16 inside a drainage hole in Key Largo. Three workers for a Monroe County contractor died at the scene.
Authorities said Moreno descended into the hole filled with poisonous gases without additional breathing equipment.
Firefighter Rafael Calante told the Citizen he took a small oxygen tank before going after Moreno. Calante said he quickly depleted the tank as he tied ropes around Moreno and the bodies of two contractors so they could be pulled to the surface.
Calante said Moreno is "set on getting better."
Information from: The Key West (Fla.) Citizen, http://www.keysnews.com