Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. TRUMP OFFERS MICHAEL FLYNN NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISER POST
The choice of Flynn would elevate a fierce critic of current U.S. foreign policy to a crucial White House role.
2. FLOOD OF IMMIGRATION QUESTIONS FOLLOW TRUMP'S ELECTION
The president-elect's tough talk on immigration has stirred anxiety nationwide among immigrants regardless of legal status.
3. IRAQI TROOPS ADVANCE CAUTIOUSLY INTO EASTERN MOSUL
The troops continue to face fierce resistance, with snipers, mortar fire and suicide bombers driving armor-plated vehicles packed with explosives.
4. UK JUDGE GRANTS DYING GIRL'S LAST WISH: TO BE FROZEN
"Being cryo-preserved gives me a chance to be cured and woken up" if a treatment for her cancer is ever discovered, the girl wrote before her recent death.
5. WHO BUILDS BRIDGES IN LATIN AMERICA AS TRUMP TALKS WALL
Chinese President Xi Jinping attends a Pacific Rim summit as part of a visit to Ecuador, Peru and Chile, as China continues to play a key role in trade throughout the region.
6. PHILIPPINES DICTATOR GETS HERO'S BURIAL
Ferdinand Marcos is interred in a military-run cemetery in Manila, enraging pro-democracy advocates who point to his declaration of martial law in 1972 and massive rights violations.
7. WHERE FIRST WINTER STORM STRIKES IN US
Blizzards, freezing temperatures and high winds are bearing down on the northern Plains states, with up to a foot of snow forecast for parts of Minnesota.
8. IN WAKE OF EMISSIONS SETTLEMENT, VW TO CUT 30,000 JOBS
Automaker says it will shed the jobs as it tries to recover from its diesel emissions scandal.
9. WHAT HIT REALITY SHOW TAKES ITS FINAL FLIGHT
The "Duck Dynasty" family has decided 2017 will be its last season.
10. HOPE AND LIFE BLOOM IN PACIFIC DEAD CORAL GRAVEYARD
"It's clear that coral reefs have great resilience and the coral here is trying to recover," says University of Victoria coral reef scientist Julia Baum, referring to the island of Kiritimati in the South Pacific.