WATERBURY, Conn. (AP) — A Connecticut electroplating company employee whose exposure to cyanide prompted the emergency decontamination of a hospital has died.
It's unclear how 38-year-old Norbert Claro died Friday. Police tell the Waterbury Republican-American an autopsy and toxicology tests are pending.
Claro was an employee of American Electro Products in Waterbury. Authorities say the company uses cyanide in some of its processes.
Fire and emergency crews responded to the company Friday morning for a report of a man suffering heart problems. Claro was taken to Waterbury Hospital, where a plastic bag labeled "sodium cyanide" was found in his pocket. Powder was visible on his clothing.
Sections of the hospital were isolated. An environmental contractor oversaw clean up at the hospital and the emergency vehicles.
This story has been corrected to show the name of the company is American Electro Products, not American Electroplating.