Standoff continues with man at northwest Alabama motel

AP News
Posted: Oct 07, 2016 4:00 PM

KILLEN, Ala. (AP) — Authorities continued to speak Friday with a Florida man they say holed himself up in a northwest Alabama motel room after authorities tried to serve him with a warrant.

"This is still a dangerous situation because he has fired at officers on numerous occasions," Florence Police Chief Ron Tyler told the Times Daily newspaper (

Authorities on Friday identified the man they were seeking as 42-year-old Eddie Collins of Lee County, Florida.

The standoff began shortly after 6 a.m. Thursday when deputies went to a Super 8 Motel in Killen to serve Collins with the Florida warrant for five counts of failure to appear.

Authorities say someone shot through the door when officers identified themselves. They say a man tried to escape through the back door, fired several times at officers and then went back in the room and locked the door.

Deputies returned fire.

Someone fired from the room again Friday morning, authorities said.

Authorities were in contact with Collins overnight, trying to persuade him to surrender.

"Our goal is to end this peacefully," Lauderdale County Chief Deputy Richard Richey said late Thursday night. "Officers have been trying to make contact with him and have talked with him throughout the day, trying to get him to come out and end this peacefully. He has refused."

Richey said they were willing to wait as long as it takes.

Authorities said Collins has five outstanding warrants from Lee County in Florida for charges including one count of shooting into a vehicle or dwelling and four counts of aggravated assault with a weapon.

Richey said Collins also now faces two counts of attempted murder in Lauderdale County stemming from accusations he shot at deputies.

There is a woman in the room with Collins, but it's not clear whether she's a hostage or if she's there voluntarily, Richey said. It wasn't clear whether there were any other people in the room.

Richey said the room's utilities have been cut off and authorities believe Collins' cellphone is no longer working.

"He hasn't made any kind of demands," Richey said. "So we're hopeful that this will end peacefully."