SONOMA COUNTY, Calif. (AP) — Sonoma County officials are warning people to take care around a popular Northern California river after tests found trace amounts of an algae toxin responsible for the death of a dog there last year.
The San Francisco Chronicle reports Saturday (http://bit.ly/2auxksL ) the blue-green algae toxin known as anatoxin was found at four public beaches along the Russian River.
The levels are 1 percent of what was found last year when a dog died after drinking river water. But county health officials have posted warnings to keep water-loving dogs and children away from the blue-green blooms.
The toxin can cause muscle tremors and, in severe cases, lead to seizures and death.
The toxin is a natural byproduct of the algae that tends to grow in warm water during drought.
Information from: San Francisco Chronicle, http://www.sfgate.com