Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. TENSION, EXCITEMENT SURROUNDS OPENING CEREMONY FOR RIO OLYMPICS
Brazil will display samba, culture and diversity but political turmoil, economic woes and environment concerns loom large.
2. WHAT YOUNG AMERICANS SAY ABOUT THE GOP AND DEMS
Most feel neither party represents them, although the Democratic Party holds a clear advantage in appealing to young people of color, according to a GenFoward poll of Americans age 18-30.
3. OBAMA DENIES $400 MILLION PAYMENT TO IRAN WAS RANSOM
He defended the transaction as evidence that the nuclear accord with Iran has allowed for progress on other matters.
4. A NARRATIVE OF FOREIGN THREATS IS KEY TO CHINA'S CRACKDOWN ON LEGAL ACTIVISTS
The effort drew new attention this week with the carefully scripted trials of a lawyer and three activists on subversion charges.
5. WHAT HAPPENS TO THE MISSILES THAT NORTH KOREA FIRES INTO THE SEA
The AP explains what we know and don't know about the fate of the weapons.
6. MCCAIN SEEMINGLY HAS EVERY REASON TO OPPOSE TRUMP BUT DOESN'T
The Arizona senator wants to focus on his own re-election campaign but Trump has dogged him at every step.
7. WHY RALLIES, DEBATES HAVE BEEN MISSING AHEAD OF CRUCIAL THAILAND VOTE
The military junta made sure there was no campaigning ahead of Sunday's referendum on a new constitution that would enshrine a watered-down democracy.
8. U.S. GOVERNMENT EXPECTED TO ISSUE SOLID MONTHLY JOBS REPORT
If it does, it would ease concerns that the economy is struggling.
9. AMAZON UNVEILS CARGO PLANE AS IT TIGHTENS CONTROL OVER DELIVERY PROCESS
It is one of 40 jetliners that will make up the e-commerce giant's own air transportation network.
10. HOW A CHINESE DIRECTOR RESPONDED TO CRITICISM OVER MATT DAMON CASTING
Zhang Yimou said the lead role of his $150 million movie "The Great Wall" was never conceived for a Chinese actor.