CARTERET, N.J. (AP) — Six New Jersey firefighters who were exposed to a "chemical haze" pouring out of a warehouse have been taken to a hospital.
Firefighters in Carteret in Middlesex County responded to the warehouse early Tuesday and found "smoke emitting" from the building. Fire officials say the smoke was caused by a chemical reaction.
According to property tax records, NJ.com (http://bit.ly/29MykJk ) reports the warehouse is owned by Cyprus Amax Minerals Company. Fire officials say the company doesn't process chemicals, but houses raw materials to be shipped overseas.
Officials say the warehouse manager had opened the doors to the building to ventilate it, and when firefighters arrived, they were hit by a downdraft. Officials say they were taken to a hospital with respiratory-related issues. They're expected to recover.
Information from: NJ.com, http://www.nj.com