House fire leaves child dead, woman in critical condition

AP News
|
Posted: Jun 26, 2016 12:49 PM

OGDEN, Utah (AP) — A 4-year-old boy has died and a 28-year-old woman is in critical condition after being trapped in a house fire that likely started after the child was playing with a butane torch.

The Ogden Fire Department says the fire broke early on Sunday. When they arrived, they learned two people were still inside. Firefighters rescued the woman and the boy, but the boy later died at a hospital. The woman suffered severe burns.

Lt. Nate Cline said in a news release that the fire was accidental and likely started when the boy was playing with a butane torch that ignited a mattress in the basement apartment of the home. It appears the boy died as result of smoke and soot inhalation.

Authorities aren't releasing the victims' identities yet.