RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — The Latest on the death of an Ohio woman after a visit to the U.S. National Whitewater Center in Charlotte, North Carolina: (all times local):
A spokesman says the U.S. National Whitewater Center in Charlotte is operating as usual Wednesday despite the death of a visitor from Ohio who became infected after contact with water.
The Whitewater Center said in a statement that its man-made, closed-loop system of concrete channels and rapids uses only filtered and treated water from the Charlotte Mecklenburg Utilities Department and two on-site wells.
The center says it adds chlorine to the system, which filters 12 million gallons a day, and also treats the water with enough ultraviolet radiation to "inactiviate" the type of amoeba thought to be responsible for the death. The center said the radiation has an effectiveness of 99.99 percent.
A woman identified as 18-year-old Lauren Seitz of Westerville, Ohio, died Sunday after visiting the Whitewater Center with a church group this month.
A Ohio woman who went whitewater rafting in North Carolina has died of an infection after being exposed to an amoeba that is naturally present in warm fresh water.
North Carolina's Department of Health and Human Services said the U.S. Centers for Disease Control suspects Naegleria fowleri (nuh-GLEER'-ee-uh FOW'-lur-ee), a one-celled organism that can cause primary amebic meningoencephalitis.
The name of the person who died Sunday wasn't officially released, but The Columbus Dispatch identified her as 18-year-old Lauren Seitz of Westerville, Ohio.
The victim's only known underwater exposure was thought to be when a raft overturned at the U.S. National Whitewater Center in Charlotte.
A spokesman for the center did not respond to messages Wednesday.