The Latest: Passenger call led to Vegas-area bus search

AP News
|
Posted: Jun 22, 2016 5:41 PM

LAS VEGAS (AP) — The Latest on a bus stopped on a freeway near Las Vegas and evacuated after a report of a bomb threat (all times local):

2:35 p.m.

A passenger's cellphone call to his grandmother about a man threatening not to let people off a bus where the man said there was a bomb led to a massive freeway snarl amid triple-digit heat near Las Vegas.

Trooper Jason Buratczuk (bur-AH'-chek) says the Nevada Highway Patrol got all 53 passengers and the driver off the bus, where one passenger was arrested and no bomb was found.

No injuries were reported.

Buratczuk says the grandmother notified authorities about the call about the threat to the bus heading south on Interstate 15 near Las Vegas.

The freeway connecting Las Vegas and Southern California was shut down for about an hour in both directions while a bomb squad checked the bus.

The freeway was reopened, passengers returned to the bus, and it resumed the trip.

___

1:55 p.m.

A freeway is reopened and all but one person are back aboard a bus and on their way toward Southern California after being stopped for a bomb scare amid triple-digit heat near Las Vegas.

Nevada Highway Patrol Trooper Jason Buratczuk (bur-AH'-chek) says the one passenger was questioned by federal agents and taken into custody Wednesday.

His identity wasn't immediately made public.

Buratczuk says no bomb was found and no injuries were reported.

Buratczuk says he doesn't know the origin or the destination of the full-sized bus.

He says it had 53 passengers and the driver aboard when it was stopped about noon on Interstate 15 near Sloan. That's about 15 miles south of the Las Vegas Strip.

The call prompted a massive freeway backup with temperatures topping 100 degrees. Paramedics were sent to the scene in case people suffered heat injuries.

I-15 is the main highway between Las Vegas and Southern California.

___

1:35 p.m.

No explosive was found and a freeway near Las Vegas is being reopened after the Nevada Highway Patrol responded to a report of a bomb aboard a bus with 54 people aboard, backing up traffic for miles in triple-digit heat.

Trooper Jason Buratczuk (bur-AH'-chek) says one person is being questioned by federal agents about another passenger's report that the man said he had a bomb aboard the full-sized bus Wednesday heading toward Southern California.

Buratczuk says a police bomb squad checked the bus, no device was found and Interstate 15 has been reopened in both directions. It had been shut down for about an hour.

Buratczuk says no injuries were immediately reported after troopers stopped the bus about 20 miles south of downtown Las Vegas.

Paramedics were summoned as a precaution, with temperatures topping 100 degrees.

____

1:15 p.m.

The Nevada Highway Patrol says a bus has been stopped on a freeway near Las Vegas, backing up traffic for miles in triple-digit heat, after a bomb threat.

Authorities said Wednesday that passengers have been evacuated and one person has been arrested after someone reported a bomb aboard the bus.

Trooper Jason Buratczuk (bur-AH'-chek) says Interstate 15 was closed in both directions to await a Las Vegas police bomb squad checked the bus.

No bomb was found.

He says he doesn't know the size of the bus or whether it's carrying commercial passengers, gamblers or sightseers.

He says no injuries were immediately reported after troopers stopped the bus south of Saint Rose Parkway.

With temperatures topping 100 degrees, paramedics are also being sent to the scene.

I-15 is the main highway between Las Vegas and Southern California.