Latest: Evacuations ending for Southern California wildfire

AP News
|
Posted: Jun 05, 2016 8:24 PM
Latest: Evacuations ending for Southern California wildfire

CALABASAS, Calif. (AP) — The Latest on a Southern California wildfire (all times local):

All evacuations have been called off for homes in the hills northwest of Los Angeles after a day of major progress on a wildfire.

The fire near the wealthy and semi-rural enclave of Calabasas is 80 percent contained early Sunday evening — up from 30 percent at daybreak.

Most evacuations, including all of those called for in Calabasas, had already been canceled.

Los Angeles County fire officials said at a briefing that evacuees from nearby Topanga would be allowed to return starting at 6 p.m.

Sheriff's officials said an estimated 3,000 homes were threatened and about 5,000 residents were evacuated at the fire's height Saturday.

Temperatures on Sunday hovered in the mid-80s — down from more than 100 degrees a day earlier.

___

3 p.m.

Crews working in steep canyons took advantage of cooler temperatures and calmer winds as they held back a brush fire that drove residents from homes in the hills northwest of Los Angeles.

Officials say the fire near the wealthy and semi-rural enclave of Calabasas is 75 percent contained Sunday afternoon — up from 30 percent at daybreak.

Firefighters used water-dropping aircraft to attack the eastern and southern flanks, keeping the blaze at just over 500 acres.

Residents of Calabasas were allowed back into their homes, but evacuation orders remain in parts of nearby Topanga.

Sheriff's officials said an estimated 3,000 homes were threatened and about 5,000 residents were evacuated at the fire's height Saturday. Three homes sustained minor damage.

Temperatures on Sunday hovered in the mid-80s — down from more than 100 degrees a day earlier.

____

1:45 p.m.

Officials say a Los Angeles County fire that has charred more than 500 acres of dry brush and driven residents from their homes is contributing to poor air quality.

The South Coast Air Quality Management District issued a smoke advisory Sunday for the San Fernando and Santa Clarita valleys. Residents are warned that air quality could reach unhealthy levels and are urged to avoid outdoor activities.

Dr. Jeffrey Gunzenhauser, the county's interim health officer, says areas where there is visible smoke, soot or ash, or even the odor of smoke, could be dangerous for some people.

The blaze in the rugged hills northwest of downtown Los Angeles is 30 percent contained. Residents of Calabasas have been allowed to return home, but evacuation orders remain in the Topanga area.

___

8:10 a.m.

Authorities lifted some evacuation orders after crews working through the night protected homes and held a brush fire in the populated hills northwest of Los Angeles to just over 500 acres — but serious challenges remain.

Los Angeles County Deputy Fire Chief John Tripp says firefighters hope to get the eastern and southern flanks of the blaze surrounded before temperatures soar again Sunday. Tripp says hot, dry conditions a day earlier led to spot fires that had crews scrambling.

The fire is 30 percent contained and residents of Calabasas are being allowed back into their homes, which may be without electricity. Evacuation orders remain in the hilly enclave of Topanga.

Sheriff's officials said some 3,000 homes were threatened and about 5,000 residents were evacuated at the fire's height Saturday. Three homes sustained minor damage.