HONOLULU (AP) — After a record-setting hurricane season fueled by El Nino in 2015, federal forecasters say the 2016 Pacific hurricane season will likely be only slightly above average as La Nina conditions take over.
Officials with the National Weather Service's Central Pacific Hurricane Center said Thursday there is about a 40 percent chance the season will be above normal, a 40 percent chance it will be normal and a 20 percent chance it will be below normal. They predict from four to seven tropical cyclones will form this season.
The 2015 season was the most active on record, with 15 storms forming.
The season runs from June 1 to November 30.
Forecasters also said the 2015-2016 wet season in Hawaii was the fifth driest in the past 30 years.