The Latest: Residents worried boy's killer not caught

AP News
|
Posted: May 20, 2016 4:14 PM

HOUSTON (AP) — The Latest on the investigation of an 11-year-old Houston boy's murder (all times local):

3 p.m.

Residents of the Houston neighborhood where an 11-year-old boy was fatally stabbed in an unprovoked attack earlier this week say they're upset and scared to learn that a murder charge has been dropped.

Police say Che Calhoun's alibi for Tuesday afternoon when Josue Flores was fatally stabbed has checked out. Eyewitnesses described him as the attacker and one man picked his picture out of photo lineup.

That man, 18-year-old Omar Garza, says he still believes he was correct in his identification.

His mother, 39-year-old Patricia Garza, says she's now worried about possible retaliation against him. She says Josue's killing is an example of growing crime in the neighborhood immediately north of downtown Houston where she's lived all her life.

The spot where Josue collapsed Tuesday is now the site of a growing memorial of balloons and candles and stuffed toys.

___

12:30 p.m.

Houston police say the murder charge against a 31-year-old man has been dismissed after investigators found evidence that he was in a south Houston suburb Tuesday afternoon when 11-year-old Josue Flores was attacked while walking home from school.

Che Calhoun was arrested the following day after he fit a description of the attacker as provided by witnesses. Calhoun also had been wanted for an assault and evading arrest for an incident Monday not far from the boy's neighborhood just north of downtown Houston.

Houston Homicide Lt. Robert Blain said Friday that one witness identified Calhoun from a photo lineup as the boy's attacker. Calhoun was arrested Wednesday and denied any involvement. Blain says police found evidence to support that alibi and the boy's killer remains at large.

Calhoun remains jailed on the assault and evading arrest charges.

___

11:30 a.m.

A murder charge has been dropped against a man who had been accused of fatally stabbing an 11-year-old Houston boy as the child walked home from school this week.

Harris County District Attorney's Office spokesman Jeff McShan says police have determined 31-year-old Che Lajuan Calhoun is not responsible for Josue (hoh-SWAY') Flores' slaying.

McShan said Friday police had the "wrong guy." He says police would provide additional information at a news conference later Friday.

Police have said Josue was stabbed Tuesday in an unprovoked attack. Calhoun was arrested the next day.

He also was charged with evading arrest and assault after authorities said Calhoun was in a fight earlier this week and fled from police. It wasn't immediately clear whether those have been dropped.

A funeral mass for Josue is scheduled for next week.

___

This story has been corrected to show that the murder count was dropped, not murder charges.

Residents of the neighborhood where an 11-year-old boy was fatally stabbed in an unprovoked attack earlier this week say they're upset and scared to learn that a murder against a man for the slaying has been dropped.

Police say Che Calhoun's alibi for Tuesday afternoon when Josue Flores was fatally stabbed has check out. Eyewitnesses described him as the attacker and one man picked his picture out of photo lineup.

That man, 18-year-old Omar Garza, says he still believes he wasn't mistaken and was correct in his identification.

His mother, 39-year-old Patricia Garza, says she's now worried about possible retaliation against him. She says Josue's killing is an example of growing crime in the neighborhood immediately north of downtown Houston where she's lived all her life.

The spot where he collapsed Tuesday is now the site of a growing memorial of balloons and candles and stuffed toys.