Carbon monoxide likely killed boy, seriously injured sister

AP News
|
Posted: May 03, 2016 1:47 PM

LINDEN, N.J. (AP) — Authorities say carbon monoxide poisoning apparently caused the death of a 9-year-old boy and seriously injured his 10-year-old sister in New Jersey.

Police responded to the family's Linden home Tuesday morning. The children's mother says she found them unresponsive in their bedroom, where high levels of carbon monoxide were found.

Authorities say there was a carbon monoxide detector in the house, but it didn't appear to be working.

The boy was pronounced dead at a hospital a short time later. His sister is hospitalized in critical condition.

Officials say the carbon monoxide poisoning might have been caused by the improper venting of fumes from the home's furnace.

The investigation is ongoing.