MIAMI (AP) — Two Cuban exiles have dropped their federal discrimination lawsuit against Carnival Corp. after the cruise line reached an agreement with the communist-run island to permit Cuban-born passengers to make the voyage.
Attorney Tucker Ronzetti said Thursday that the lawsuit's goal was to ensure anyone could make the trip. Before the agreement last week, Carnival would not sell tickets for the cruise to Cuban-born people because Cuba would not allow them to arrive by sea.
Cuba's reversal cleared the way for anyone to book the cruise on Carnival's Fathom brand. The 704-passenger Adonia departs Miami on Sunday for the first such cruise in 50 years to Havana and two other cities. Carnival says the ship will cruise to Cuba every other week.
The previous Carnival policy sparked protests by Cuban-Americans and criticism from politicians.