Roach-infested home explodes when bug-killing spray combusts

AP News
|
Posted: Apr 14, 2016 2:42 PM

ASBURY PARK, N.J. (AP) — A roach-infested apartment has exploded in New Jersey after fumes from bug-killing spray built up and combusted, sending two adults and one child to a hospital.

A spokesman for the Asbury Park Fire Department tells the Asbury Park Press (http://on.app.com/1XxVeGb) the explosion happened Wednesday night after an occupant was spraying insecticide, got a headache and opened a window.

Garrett Giberson says the oxygen from outside combined with the fumes and a stove's pilot light to cause the explosion.

The blast blew out the first-floor apartment's windows, bent the front door and damaged the kitchen.

He says the three people are lucky they weren't seriously injured.

Giberson says the home was still crawling with cockroaches when he arrived.

The American Red Cross is providing shelter for the three-story complex's tenants.

___

Information from: Asbury Park (N.J.) Press, http://www.app.com