GREEN, Ohio (AP) — The mother and grandmother of a teen who died from a suspected heroin overdose were charged in his death after authorities said they think the mom and her son had used the drug together.
Syringes, illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia were found in the hotel room where Andrew Frye, 16, was found dead in a chair Wednesday night, authorities said Friday.
Preliminary tests show Frye had heroin and possibly the prescription painkiller fentanyl in his system, according to a medical examiner. The teen had a history of heroin and drug abuse, the examiner's report said.
Investigators said they believe Frye, his mother and her friend used heroin together at the hotel in the Akron suburb of Green. Authorities were investigating whether his grandmother bought the drugs.
The teen's mother, Heather Frye, and her mother, Brenda Frye, were charged with involuntary manslaughter and tampering with evidence. Court records don't list attorneys for the women, who are from Akron. There were no telephone listings for them.
Court records show both have a history of drug-related charges.
The mother's friend was charged with tampering with evidence and drug possession. A man who lived with the grandmother was charged with heroin possession.
Summit County Sheriff Steve Barry said the teen was dead well before authorities arrived at the hotel, and those who were with him had tried to hide needles and drugs.
"The evidence in this case turns my stomach," Barry said.
The sheriff said all four of those charged played a role in obtaining and providing the heroin to Frye before his death.