The Latest: Teen who survived Kalamazoo shooting is walking

AP News
|
Posted: Mar 03, 2016 1:58 PM
The Latest: Teen who survived Kalamazoo shooting is walking

KALAMAZOO, Mich. (AP) — The latest in the criminal case against a man accused of fatally shooting six people last month in the Kalamazoo, Michigan, area (all times local):

1:45 p.m.

The mother of a 14-year-old girl who survived a mass shooting in southwestern Michigan says the teenager is able to walk with assistance.

Vicki Kopf tells the Battle Creek Enquirer (http://bcene.ws/1RsgfNS ) that Abigail Kopf opened her eyes Tuesday and took some steps at a hospital Wednesday. Gene Kopf predicts their daughter, who was shot in the head, will be "very close to functional ... with no serious repercussions" in the months ahead.

Six people were killed during a series of random shootings in the Kalamazoo area on Feb. 20. Abigail and a 25-year-old woman survived.

Vicki Kopf says she can't wait to see Abigail's "sass and spunk" again.

Meanwhile, a judge ordered Jason Dalton to undergo a mental competency exam Thursday. He's charged with murder and attempted murder.

___

Corrects story to change quote attribution to father Gene Kopf.

___

11:25 a.m.

A prosecutor says a mental competency exam for a man accused of killing six people in southwestern Michigan will determine only if he understands the charges against him and can assist his lawyer.

Kalamazoo County prosecutor Jeff Getting says the exam won't determine whether Jason Dalton was insane at the time of the Feb. 20 shootings.

Getting spoke Thursday after a judge granted a request for the exam. It could delay the case for two months.

Dalton is charged with murder and attempted murder. Police say the 45-year-old man shot people outside an apartment building, a restaurant and a car dealership in between driving for Uber.

Getting says police still are trying to determine a motive. Dalton didn't know the victims.

___

10:30 a.m.

A man accused of killing six people during a series of random shootings in Michigan last month will undergo a mental competency exam, delaying the criminal case until May.

Online court records show that a request made by Jason Dalton's attorney for the exam was granted Thursday during a conference with a judge and a prosecutor. The next court hearing is set for May 10.

Dalton is charged with murder and attempted murder in the Feb. 20 attacks. Police say the 45-year-old shot people outside an apartment building, a restaurant and a car dealership in between driving people for Uber.

Investigators say he didn't know the victims, and a motive hasn't been disclosed. Two other people were shot but survived.

___

8:30 a.m.

A judge is set to meet with lawyers to lay out procedural steps in the murder case against a southwestern Michigan man charged with randomly killing six people.

The conference Thursday comes a week before Jason Dalton faces an important hearing to determine if there's enough evidence to send him to trial in Kalamazoo County.

Prosecutor Jeff Getting says the discussion with Dalton's lawyer and a judge won't be open to reporters. But he's planning to speak to the news media when it ends.

The 45-year-old Dalton is charged with murder and attempted murder. Six people were killed on Feb. 20 — four outside a restaurant and a father and son at a car dealership. Two people who survived are in fair condition at a hospital.