SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (AP) — The latest on the reopening of the social service center where 14 died in the San Bernardino shooting (all times local):
More than 3,000 people gathered at a memorial ceremony for San Bernardino County employees to mourn the 14 people killed in last month's terror attack.
Speakers at the service Monday at an indoor arena in Ontario, Calif., about a month after the shootings expressed condolences to the family and friends of those killed in the massacre and gratitude to first responders.
Those gathered heard consolation and inspiration from speakers that included former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and evangelical pastor Rick Warren
Both pulled from their own experiences dealing with loss — Warren's following the death of his son and Giuliani from his time at the helm of the city during the Sept 11, 2001 terror attacks — and urged the audience to make something good come from this tragedy.
Giuliani says the rampage in San Bernardino could have happened anywhere in the United States and that communities need to stand by and support each other as no one knows where might be next.
Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani and evangelical pastor Rick Warren are set to speak at a memorial for those killed in the San Bernardino terror attack.
Giuliani and Warren, pastor of the Saddleback Church in Orange County, are listed as speakers for the Monday memorial service. It's being held for San Bernardino County employees to mourn together the 14 victims of the Dec. 2 attack on a health department luncheon.
The ceremony comes on the same day that employees returned to work at the social service center where the shooting took place.
A transport worker turning in paperwork at a social service center in Southern California says he was nervous to return to the building that reopened a month after a deadly terror attack.
Melvin Anderson, who helps shuttle disabled clients for the Inland Regional Center, says he was apprehensive about approaching with news reporters and a police officer outside.
Anderson, who travels to the San Bernardino center monthly to handle paperwork, says the last time he was there was the day before two attackers killed 14 people. He says he cried when he heard.
Anderson says community members aren't used to this kind of violence and should unite to move forward as best they can.
The leader of the social service center in San Bernardino where 14 people were killed last month says she expects all of her staff to be back on the job as the facility reopens.
Inland Regional Center Executive Director Lavinia Johnson says that while some of the 600 workers will have anxiety, most are "excited" to be back together at work Monday.
Guards checked IDs as employees filed back into the offices, many for the first time since the Dec. 2 terror attack.
Johnson says she plans to greet employees and ensure that they feel safe. Counselors are available, and no visitors are planned this week.
The conference center where the two attackers opened fire on a holiday luncheon is still closed.
The facility east of Los Angeles serves 31,000 disabled clients.
Guards checked IDs as workers returned to the San Bernardino social service center for the first time since 14 people were killed last month in a terror attack.
A chain-link fence was unlocked Monday morning as some of the Inland Regional Center's 600 employees went back to work. Few of them have gone to the office since the killings, other than a brief visit to gather personal belongings. No visitors are allowed.
While many have continued to work, visiting the homes of autistic children and mentally disabled adults, they haven't been together since law enforcement officers whisked them away Dec. 2.
The conference center where the two attackers opened fire on a holiday luncheon will not reopen Monday, and it's not clear when it might.