Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Tuesday.
1. OBAMA PLANNING TO BROADEN GUN BACKGROUND CHECKS
The initiative forms the centerpiece of a broader package of gun-control measures the president plans to take on his own in his final year in office.
2. WHAT MESSAGE US IS SENDING SAUDIS, IRAN
The White House appeals for restraint by both nations after mobs attacked the Saudi embassy in Tehran following the execution of a prominent Shiite cleric.
3. NO RUSH TO RETAKE OREGON WILDLIFE REFUGE FROM ARMED ACTIVISTS
The cautious approach by federal officials could stem from the fact that no one has been hurt in the faceoff, and no one's being held hostage.
4. GENERAL MOTORS INVESTS $500 MILLION IN LYFT
The automaker places the industry's biggest bet yet on the notion that using a device to hail a ride — with or without a driver — is the future of transportation.
5. WHO'S TOURING FOR HILLARY CLINTON
Bill Clinton makes his solo debut on behalf of his wife's campaign in New Hampshire.
6. GUNMAN ON LOOSE AFTER ATTACK IN TEL AVIV
The deadly daytime shooting at a popular bar on a busy street has become among the most unsettling attacks in Israel in a three-month wave of violence.
7. US SUES VOLKSWAGEN OVER EMISSIONS-CHEATING SOFTWARE
The legal action potentially exposes the German automaker to billions of dollars in penalties for clean air violations.
8. EX-SOUTH CAROLINA COP RELEASED ON BOND IN MURDER CASE
Michael Slager, charged with shooting an unarmed black driver running from a traffic stop, will remain under house arrest until his trial later this year.
9. 'AMERICAN IDOL' BEGINNING 15TH AND FINAL SEASON
During its run, the singing contest has made stars of Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson and others, while resurrecting the TV talent show.
10. WHICH SUPER BOWL-WINNING COACH IS STEPPING DOWN
The decision by Tom Coughlin to resign comes a day after his New York Giants completed their third straight losing season.