The Latest: Arkansas State suspect's girlfriend arrested

AP News
|
Posted: Dec 11, 2015 2:34 PM
The Latest: Arkansas State suspect's girlfriend arrested

JONESBORO, Ark. (AP) — The latest on a Thursday incident at Arkansas State University in which an armed man drove onto campus, prompting a lockdown (all times local):

1:15 p.m.

The girlfriend of the armed man police say caused a lockdown at Arkansas State University has been arrested for being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Police said Friday they arrested Connie Francis Hampton, 41, who was living with Brad Kenneth Bartelt in Jonesboro. Bartelt was being held on a preliminary charge of aggravated assault after driving onto the Arkansas State University campus with a shotgun.

Hampton was arrested Thursday after police searched their home and found an AR-15. Hampton has been on parole since last year from a 2013 arrest for manufacturing, delivery and possession of a controlled substance, according to the Department of Community Correction.

Police said they also found four large hunting knives and ammunition for the shotgun and AR-15 at the home.

___

10:45 a.m.

Police say the gunman who caused a lockdown at Arkansas State University initially wanted to shoot other people at the school, but changed his mind and instead wanted to kill himself.

Jonesboro police said in a report released Friday that Brad Kenneth Bartelt told an officer he was upset over an injury he sustained while training to drive an 18-wheeler at Arkansas State University's Newport campus three years ago.

The report said Bartelt told an officer Thursday that he wanted to shoot people at the university but "realized murder would be wrong, so he was going to kill himself."

Bartelt told police he was on several psychiatric medications and painkillers. He also told an officer he "was seeing demons in the woods around his house."

The report said Bartelt called 911 after driving onto lawn in front of ASU's student union, telling dispatchers he was on campus with a gun.

___

9:40 a.m.

The man accused of causing a lockdown at Arkansas State University has his first court appearance set for Friday afternoon.

Jonesboro police spokesman Paul Holmes says the suspect, 47-year-old Brad Kenneth Bartelt, will appear via video link from the Craighead County jail for a probable cause hearing at 1 p.m. Friday.

Bartelt is being held on a preliminary charge of aggravated assault for the Thursday incident, but Holmes says he could face more charges.

Police say Bartelt had a shotgun and containers of gasoline and propane with him when he drove his truck onto a plaza near the student union. He eventually surrendered and no one was hurt.

___

8:30 a.m.

The chancellor at Arkansas State University is praising the community's response after an armed man drove onto campus and prompted an hourslong lockdown until he surrendered.

Chancellor Tim Hudson issued a statement Friday morning commending the strength of first responders, students and staff after Thursday's incident. He ended the statement: "Together we rise; together we thrive."

Jonesboro police say 47-year-old Brad Kenneth Bartelt had a 12-gauge shotgun and containers of gasoline and propane with him when he drove his truck onto a plaza east of the student union. He eventually surrendered and no one was hurt.

Bartelt remains in the Craighead County jail Friday on a preliminary charge of aggravated assault.

Jonesboro Police Chief Rick Elliott says Bartelt never pointed his gun at officers.