The Latest: California shooter, man who bought guns related

AP News
|
Posted: Dec 09, 2015 7:22 PM
The Latest: California shooter, man who bought guns related

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (AP) — The latest on the shootings in San Bernardino, California (all times local):

4:15 p.m.

The man who bought two assault rifles used in the San Bernardino massacre was more than just a friend to one of the shooters — he was also related.

Public records show Enrique Marquez and gunman Syed Rizwan Farook had a sister-in-law in common. That woman, from Russia, has a sister who married Marquez last year.

Authorities say Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, used the guns to ambush his fellow county health inspectors Dec. 2 at what was supposed to be a festive annual meeting. The pair killed 14 people and wounded 21 others. They died hours later in a police shootout.

Federal authorities say Marquez purchased the guns legally, but they have questioned the 24-year-old and searched his mother's home.

Marquez and Farook grew up next to each other, and documents show their friendship extended beyond being neighbors.

___

3 p.m.

Two people familiar with the investigation into the San Bernardino, California, attack say investigators are looking at whether the husband accused in the shootings was planning an attack in 2012 but abandoned those plans.

The two spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

The shooting attack by 28-year-old Syed Farook and his wife, 29-year-old Tashfeen Malik, last week killed 14 people and left 21 injured. Former neighbor Enrique Marquez bought the two rifles used in the attack.

One of the two people, a law enforcement official briefed on the investigation, says Marquez has told investigators that he and Farook planned an attack in the United States in 2012 but abandoned the idea. Marquez is a relative of Farook's through marriage.

The official says it's unclear what spooked them into cancelling the apparent plot.

— AP writers Tami Abdollah and Eric Tucker in Washington contributed this item.

___

11 a.m.

The father of California shooter Tashfeen Malik says he condemns and regrets his daughter's action and the killings in San Bernardino.

Gulzar Ahmad Malik spoke to The Associated Press by telephone Wednesday from Jiddah, in Saudi Arabia. He says he is "very, very sad."

He says: "I am in such pain that I cannot even describe it."

The father says he recorded his statement with Saudi intelligence and that he wouldn't like to go beyond that.

The Saudi Interior Ministry has said that Gulzar Ahmed Malik has been a resident in the kingdom since the early 1980s. His daughter was from Pakistan but traveled to Saudi Arabia.

Tashfeen Malik and her husband, Syed Rizwan Farook, opened fire on Farook's co-workers at a holiday party a week ago, killing 14 people.

___

8 a.m.

FBI Director James Comey says the two San Bernardino, California, shooters were radicalized at least two years ago and had discussed jihad and martyrdom as early as 2013.

Comey told the Senate Judiciary Committee on Wednesday that Syed Rizwan Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, were radicalized even before they met online.

The couple wed last year.

Comey also said the couple was inspired by foreign terror organizations and described them as "homegrown violent extremists."

He said the investigation is continuing.