TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) — The mother who is accused of confining her three daughters to their home under horrific conditions says the children were not mistreated.
Sophia Richter took the witness stand Tuesday as her trial draws to a close. Closing arguments were expected to begin later in the day.
Richter says the girls ate well, including lots of fruit, and were allowed to leave their rooms.
She is standing trial with her husband, Fernando, on charges including child abuse, kidnapping and domestic violence.
The trial was marked by dramatic testimony from the children last month, including one who said she wasn't allowed to get off her bed or brush her teeth for lengthy stretches.