The Latest: Man's father satisfied with settlement in death

AP News
|
Posted: Nov 23, 2015 6:48 PM

SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — The latest on a settlement reached in the death of a mentally ill homeless man after a violent arrest in Southern California (All times local):

3:25 p.m.

The father of a mentally ill homeless man who died after a violent arrest says he feels vindicated by a $4.9-million settlement offered by the city of Fullerton, California.

Ron Thomas said at a news conference Monday afternoon that while the city acknowledged no wrongdoing in the settlement, it was a clear indication to him of its liability and guilt in the death of his 37-year-old son Kelly Thomas.

A civil trial in Thomas's death had been slated to begin Monday.

Since the 2011 death of his son, who was homeless and had schizophrenia that had led to previous interactions with police, Ron Thomas has crusaded to bring attention to the death, to see the officers who arrested him prosecuted and to improve police interactions with the mentally ill.

___

12:06 p.m.

The city of Fullerton, California, has reached a settlement in the death of a mentally ill homeless man who was taken off life support after a violent arrest.

Ron Thomas, father of 37-year-old Kelly Thomas, said Monday that the settlement amount was $4.9 million.

City Attorney Dick Jones told reporters the deal needs to be approved by insurers.

A trial in the civil case had been slated to begin Monday.

Ron Thomas sued over the 2011 death of his homeless and schizophrenic son.

Former Officer Manuel Ramos was acquitted of second-degree murder last year. Former Cpl. Jay Cicinelli was acquitted of involuntary manslaughter.

Surveillance video showed Ramos threatening Thomas with gloved fists. Cicinelli jolted Thomas with a stun gun and used the butt end to hit him in the head and face.