CHICAGO (AP) — The latest on the upcoming release of a video that is said to show a white Chicago police officer shooting a black teenager 16 times last year (all times local):
An official close to the investigation says county prosecutors are expected to charge a white Chicago police officer with murder in the fatal shooting a black teenager.
The official told The Associated Press' Don Babwin on Monday night that Officer Jason Van Dyke is expected to be charged Tuesday. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity so as not to pre-empt the expected charges.
The charge would come as the city prepares to release squad-car video of Van Dyke shooting 17-year-old Laquan McDonald 16 times on Oct. 20, 2014.
An attorney for Van Dyke did not respond to messages from the AP seeking comment.
Several people who have seen the video say it shows McDonald armed with a small knife, walking away from several officers. An autopsy report says he was shot at least twice in his back
Ministers who met with Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel to discuss the upcoming release of a police shooting video say he won't confirm when the footage might be released or whether a decision to indict the officer has been made.
The Rev. Ira Acree says the atmosphere at the meeting Monday afternoon was "very tense, very contentious."
Others say they're upset that Emanuel just now called for the gathering, more than a year after the shooting of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald.
An autopsy shows the teen was shot 16 times. Police have said he was shot after refusing to drop a knife.
Another minister, Jedidiah Brown, says emotions are high and there will be no stopping major protests once the video is released.
A judge last week ordered the video released no later than Wednesday.
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel has invited ministers and community activists to City Hall to discuss the upcoming release of a police car dashcam video that shows a white officer fatally shooting a black teenager last year.
Seventeen-year-old Laquan McDonald was shot 16 times. Police have said he refused to drop a knife.
There is growing concern in the community about what could happen when people see the incident for themselves. A judge last week ordered the video released no later than Wednesday.
Two ministers invited to the meeting Monday afternoon say they think Emanuel is going to ask them to call for calm.
Ira Acree and Marshall Hatch say blacks in the city are upset about the shooting and the city's refusal for several months to release the video.