Keystone XL developer withdraws Nebraska route application

AP News
|
Posted: Nov 18, 2015 10:46 AM

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — The developer of the Keystone XL pipeline has withdrawn its application for route approval through Nebraska, but a spokesman says the Canadian company reserves the right to reapply.

TransCanada made the announcement Wednesday, a day before it was scheduled to appear before the Nebraska Public Service Commission for a planning conference.

Before President Barack Obama rejected a federal permit for the project, Nebraska had been a major roadblock because of lawsuits filed by landowners and environmental groups.

The pipeline was projected to carry 800,000 barrels a day of crude from Canada and North Dakota to Nebraska, where existing pipelines would bring it to Gulf Coast refineries.

Company spokesman Mark Cooper says TransCanada may reapply in the future and is committed to completing the final leg of the Keystone pipeline system.