The Latest: Once-missing teen asks to be left alone

AP News
|
Posted: Nov 06, 2015 1:58 PM

CLEVELAND (AP) — The latest on the case of a missing child in Alabama who was found 13 years later in Ohio (all times local):

1:45 p.m.

The 18-year-old high school student who recently discovered he had been living in Cleveland with his father under false identities is asking be left alone.

Bobby Hernandez allegedly took the teen from his mother in Alabama in 2002.

The teen, Julian Hernandez, released a statement Friday through the FBI in Cleveland. In the statement, he says he just wants to be a normal 18-year-old.

Meanwhile, a Cleveland attorney for the father says his client knew he'd eventually be caught after giving himself and his son new identities. Ralph DeFranco says Hernandez knows there will be consequences for his actions.

Julian Hernandez was taken from his mother's home outside Birmingham. Authorities say Social Security Number discrepancies appeared when he was applying for college, which led him to learn the truth.