SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A California man accused of stabbing a U.S. airman who was hailed as a hero for helping thwart a European terror attack is being held on $2 million bond following his first court appearance Friday.
The Sacramento Bee reports (http://bit.ly/20B0qfD ) that James Tran did not enter a plea. The 28-year-old is charged with attempted murder after Air Force Staff Sgt. Spencer Stone was knifed last month in a fight near a Sacramento bar.
Stone, 23, is one of three Sacramento men who tackled a gunman with ties to radical Islam on a Paris-bound passenger train in August.
Tran's attorney, Donald Masuda, did not comment after the brief court appearance. Tran, who was arrested early Wednesday, will return to court Dec. 1.
Tran wore an orange Sacramento County jail jumpsuit when he was brought into a cage reserved for prisoners in the courtroom. He spoke only to answer Sacramento Superior Court Judge Ben Davidian's questions, and to converse with his attorney before and after the hearing.
A number of other people were questioned following the Oct. 8 brawl but none has been arrested.
Tran is considered the instigator in the confrontation that led to the stabbing, police Chief Sam Somers Jr. said at a news conference this week.
Stone was with three women and another man when the fight with Tran's group began as an argument. Somers said Tran and his group did not know who Stone was until they saw news reports later.
It was the second time that Stone was knifed this year.
In August, Stone suffered a knife wound to the neck and a severely cut thumb when he and two childhood friends from Sacramento stopped the attempted terror attack.
Stone is assigned to Travis Air Force Base outside Sacramento and was promoted from airman to staff sergeant last week.
Associated Press photographer Rich Pedroncelli contributed to this story.