Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Thursday:
1. DEBATE HELPS CLARIFY CONTOURS OF GOP RACE
Outsiders are capitalizing on voter frustration with Washington, while the Republican candidates with political experience are hoping the race ultimately turns their way.
2. DEPUTY FIRED FOR TOSSING SOUTH CAROLINA TEEN ACROSS CLASSROOM FLOOR
The sheriff calls the officer's actions "unacceptable," and says videos recorded by her classmates show the girl posed no danger to anyone.
3. PAUL RYAN NOMINATED TO REPLACE BOEHNER AS SPEAKER
"This begins a new day in the House of Representatives," the Wisconsin GOP lawmaker says. "We are turning the page."
4. IRAN JOINING INTERNATIONAL TALKS ON SYRIA
The country's inclusion for the first time marks recognition by the U.S. that no discussion on Syria's future can succeed without Iran at the table.
5. WHICH AIRSHIP SLIPPED ITS TETHER AND FLOATED AWAY
An unmanned Army surveillance blimp breaks loose from its mooring in Maryland and floats over Pennsylvania for hours before eventually deflating and settling back to Earth.
6. AUSTRIA BUILDING FENCE TO DETER MIGRANTS
It's a major shift for the country, which has preached the sanctity of unimpeded internal EU borders.
7. WHOSE HEALTH HAS TAKEN A TURN
Former Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has a new tumor growing on his bladder and is awaiting word on whether it is cancerous.
8. EX-HOUSE SPEAKER PLEADS GUILTY IN HUSH-MONEY SCHEME
The plea allows Dennis Hastert to avert a potentially lurid trial that could have dredged up allegations of sexual misconduct.
9. WHY TRICK-OR-TREATING ISN'T JUST FOR PEOPLE
An estimated 20 million American pet owners will dress their pets this Halloween — and spend $350 million on the costumes.
10. ROYALS WEAR DOWN METS TO TAKE 2-0 LEAD IN WORLD SERIES
Eric Hosmer hits a tiebreaking, two-run single in a four-run fifth inning, and Kansas City rallies past New York 7-1.