South Florida high-rise cited after explosion injures 6

AP News
|
Posted: Oct 07, 2015 6:37 AM

SUNNY ISLES BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Officials say the developer and general contractor of a South Florida high-rise have been cited for improper purging of the gas piping system after a boiler room explosion injured six people.

In citing the Château Beach Residences on Monday, Sunny Isles Beach's building inspector noted that the "fuel was vented into a confined space with sources of ignition." The city revoked the building's temporary certificate of occupancy and deemed the building unsafe for occupancy.

Mayor George "Bud" Scholl tells the Miami Herald (http://hrld.us/1VDdEIy ) the full report won't be available for about a week.

The luxury condo tower was largely empty at the time of the explosion Friday. At least one worker was injured along with two firefighters. Several people at the neighboring Monaco Resort were injured by falling debris.

___

Information from: The Miami Herald, http://www.herald.com